Since I’m an Engineering student i have been thinking lately of this word “Engineering” let me quote this definition for you ”
Engineering (from Latin ingenium, meaning “cleverness” and ingeniare, meaning “to contrive, devise”) is the application of scientific, economic, social, and practical knowledge in order to design, build, maintain, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes. ” , I must say this word is a prestigious word! When you refer to someone that he’s an Engineer you’re indirectly pointing out that he has this special charisma,& a special way of thinking! Thats why i’m going to list some of the things i think its a must have as an Engineer :
1) The ability to read! : you have to read a lot like really ALOT ! Dive in and know more, it’s a very fast improving field that you have to catch up with.
2) you should focus on solving problems : as an Engineer you should be able to solve problems and have the ability to create the easiest cheapest solutions for any problem you face.
3) ask yourself : how do i define success ?
a) Do I want to get really rich?
B) Do i just want a job with decent pay
C) Do i want to change the world?
Or did my parents put me up to this?
Answer them,they may take few years months or weeks but eventually you should find the answers.
4) Competition : compete with others,never settle for ordinary and work harder each time!
5) prepare yourself for anything and always ask smart questions
6) if you want to do something do it perfectly,and when you learn something master it!,become the best one in the world in it,your skills are more important than your name written on a certificate made of paper.
7) improve your technical skills : technical skills are so important because they make you understand the theoretical parts of your work.
8) improve your non technical skills : its also important to have your own side hobbies or skills lets say! Writing,painting or even playing any musical instrument are perfect to encourage you from time to time.
9) make new relationships : being able to build good relations with your colleagues or your coworkers are really a step forward in your career.
10) stand for yourself and for your ideas ! If you think you have what it takes to start your own ” start up” then go for it !!
11) work with your bare hands ! Burning your fingers by welding or connecting the wires of circuits will give you a great practice experience of being a real engineer! Work on projects you’ll learn more.
12) try new things and be confident of your abilities!
13) waste your time wisely : like surfing the internet and figuring out new informations new skills to be learnt online (i will write a while blog about it later on).
Engineering to me is passion,even though i’m not the smartest person alive or lets say my marks aren’t the best marks of all times,but theres something I’m sure about..ENGINEERING IS A DREAM A PASSION A LIFE CHANGING MATTER.
Hope my article was fruitful thank you for reading!.